History

Bluffton Police Department Past

The Bluffton Police Department was established in 1903; 50 years after the Town was incorporated. The department began as a one-man agency serving the original one square mile of town and 577 residents. In the late 1990s, when the Town’s population increased so did the police department. 

Bluffton Police Department Today

Today, the Bluffton Police Department serves 54-square miles within the Town of Bluffton. The department is comprised of 60 sworn officers, 16 civilians, seven chaplains, 10 volunteers, seven school resource officers, and six school crossing guards. It encompasses a patrol, investigations, emergency management and support divisions. As the Town and department continue to grow, Chief Christopher Chapmond makes it his mission to lead a community-oriented department focusing on the best interest of the citizens who live, work and visit the Town Bluffton.